Airport: I went to air port to catch a flight to San Francisco.
Check-in: Make sure to get to the airport two hours early to check-in.
Fly: I like to fly on the same airlines to get milage points.
Land: The airplane will land in two hours.
Landing: The landing took place during a storm. It was very scary!
Plane: The plane is packed with 300 passengers.
Take off: The airplane is scheduled to take off at 3:30.
Check your vocabulary by using a word to fill in the gaps:
- My plane _____ in three hours! I have to catch a taxi to the _____.
- Can you pick me up at tomorrow? My flight _____ at 7:30.
- The _____ was very bumpy. I was afraid.
- Be sure to _____ at least two hours before your flight.
- The _____ is a 747 by Boeing.
Words for Vacations
Camp: Do you like to camp in the woods?
Destination: What is your final destination?
Excursion: I’d like to take an excursion to the wine country while we’re in Tuscany.
Go camping: Let’s go to the beach and go camping next weekend.
Go sightseeing: Did you go sightseeing while you were in France?
Hostel: Staying in a youth hostel is a great way to save money on vacation.
Hotel: I’ll book a hotel for two nights.
Journey: The journey will take four weeks and we’ll visit four countries.
Luggage: Can you carry the luggage upstairs?
Motel: We stayed in a convenient motel on our way to Chicago.
Package holiday: I prefer to buy package holidays, so I don’t have to worry about anything.
Passenger: The passenger felt ill during the voyage.
Route: Our route will take us through Germany and on to Poland.
Sightseeing: The sightseeing in this town is rather boring. Let’s go shopping.
Suitcase: Let me unpack my suitcase and then we can go swimming.
Tour: Peter went on a tour of vineyard.
Tourism: Tourism is becoming an important industry in almost every country.
Tourist: Every May many tourists from around the world come to see the flower festival.
Travel: Travel is one of his favorite free time activities.
Travel agent: The travel agent found us a great deal.
Trip: The trip to New York was lovely and interesting.
Vacation: I’d love to take a nice long vacation on the beach.
Use a word from the list to fill in the gaps:
- Could I ask what your final _____ is?
- The _____ to Chicago was very interesting.
- I enjoy going _____ whenever I visit a new city that I don’t know.
- It’s best not to take too much _____ with you on your trip. The airline might lose it!
- There were many _____ who missed the flight to New York.
- Let’s just stay at a cheap _____ along the highway.
- If you want to save money, take a hike and _____ in the mountains.
- Our _____ will take us past some of the most beautiful homes in Hollywood.
- I think _____ is one of the great ways to expand your imagination.
- I hope your _____ was pleasant.
Travel by Land
Bicycle: One of the best ways to see the countryside is to ride a bicycle.
Bike: We rode a bike from shop to shop.
Bus: You can catch a bus for Seattle at the bus station.
Bus station: The bus station is three blocks from here.
Car: You might want to rent a car when you go on vacation.
Lane: Make sure to get into the left lane when you want to pass.
Motorcycle: Riding a motorcycle can be fun and exciting, but it’s also dangerous.
Freeway: We’ll have to take the freeway to Los Angeles.
Highway: The highway between the two cities is quite lovely.
Rail: Have you ever traveled by rail?
Go by rail: Going by rail offers the opportunity to get up and walk around as you travel.
Railway: The railway station is down this street.
Road: There are three roads to Denver.
Main road: Take the main road into town and turn left at 5th street.
Taxi: I got in a taxi and went to the train station.
Traffic: There’s a lot of traffic today on the road!
Train: I like riding on trains. It’s a very relaxing way to travel.
Tube: You can take the tube in London.
Underground: You can take the underground in many cities throughout Europe.
Subway: You can take the subway in New York.
Fill in the gaps with a target word:
- You should change the _____ to pass this car.
- Let’s take a _____ to get to the airport.
- I think the _____ is a great way to get around a big city.
- Have you ever ridden a _____? It must be fun.
- I think traveling by _____ is the best way to see the countryside. You can walk around, have dinner and just watch the world go by.
- If you take the _____ road you will get back to town.
- There’s nothing like a _____ ride on a spring’s day to get you in shape.
- How many _______ have you owned in your life?
Sea / Ocean
Boat: Have you ever piloted a boat?
Cruise: We will stop at three destinations during our cruise through the Mediterranean.
Cruise-ship: It’s the most elegant cruise-ship in the world!
Ferry: Ferries allow passengers to take their cars with them to the destination.
Ocean: The Atlantic Ocean takes four days to cross.
Port: There are all kinds of commercial ships in the port.
Sailboat: The sailboat requires nothing but the wind.
Sea: The sea is very calm today.
Set sail: We set sail for the exotic island.
Ship: Have you ever been a passenger on a ship?
Voyage: The voyage to the Bahamas took three days.
Find the right word to fill in the gaps:
- I’d love to take a fancy _____ and travel through the Bahamas.
- It’s hard to imagine that Japan is on the other side of this _____.
- You can catch a _____ and take your car to the island.
- We _____ next June for the cruise of a lifetime!
- A _____ is the most environmentally friendly way to travel.
- Let’s rent a _____ for the day and row around the lake.